Thursday, January 27, 2011

Snow pictures? Snow problem!

I've been with The Times for over a quarter century and every time it snows, I know my job is to get snow pictures. After the latest deposit in the snow bank from Mother Nature, I managed to find two things I'd never photographed before. I went to Waterfront Park to see how things looked at the baseball stadium where NY Yankees Double-A affiliate Trenton Thunder play. While the receptionist, Susanna, was trying to reach public relations director Bill Cook on the phone, he came walking out, camera in hand to make some snow pictures of his own for the Thunder's facebook page. That made my day because it's always nice to have a person in a weather picture. Bill went to work and so did I.



After that, I spotted a really big crew working on clearing the snow around Trenton's War Memorial, home of Patriots Theatre. I never photographed that many people shoveling at once before.


1 comment:

Carolyn Foote Edelmann said...

Michael, what dramatic and unexpected scenes! Thank you.

My father was a journalist who was spared World War II because he was handy with a Speed Graphic. I am assailed by the vigorous wish to be able to show your scenes to him (Jim Stower, Detroit Times.)

What's intriguing about your artful depictions of Trenton Thunder in Trenton Snow, is that, --although in color--, they have the dramatic vigor of black and whites, as in Ansel Adams.

I'm glad to learn of your blog, and hope you'll check out my Packet blog, NJ WILD. I'm frequently photographing and writing about our beautiful, oft-maligned state, which I choose over all others.

Thank you for these electrifying scenes.

Carolyn Foote Edelmann
Princeton